June 28, 2016 | Community
Excited for the long weekend ahead? Who isn’t! If you’re planning on having a party this weekend, we know things can get a bit hectic. Does the place look good? Do you have enough red, white and blue? What should you make for dinner and have for desserts? Don’t worry, we’ve got some tips for you on how to host a fun and patriotic party.
Don’t overdo it with the American flags and bolster them everywhere around the house. Having a few around the lawn or backyard is perfect. You’re showing your pride for America without completely renovating your house with red, white and blue.
A must have is definitely some cocktails and drinks! You can get creative with the way you choose to store the drinks, such as a canoe filled with ice. Or, if you want to keep it simple, just a cooler would be great. The last thing anyone needs on a hot day is a warm beer. Fill it with pop, beer and water and let the guests serve themselves.
Celebrate America’s Independence Day with some fireworks! It’s another must have, especially if there's kids around. You can never have too much fun with all the colors and sounds of the fireworks throughout the night. Sparklers are also fun for the younger kids if you want to keep them entertained. Just remember, light responsibly :)
Throw in some fresh flowers for the occasion. It adds more color to your outdoor table that won’t go unnoticed. Your guests will appreciate the charming décor that you laid out for them. If you want to spice it up even more, get some red and white flowers and put them add them in blue dyed water. It looks awesome and it’ll have your guests zealous about your decorating skills.
With the party being held outside, it’s only right that you treat your guests to a dinner cooked out on the grill. It’s a given for most, but cooking outside is what makes the party even more pleasurable. Everyone loves the smell of a home cooked meal on the grill. (If you want the best of the best, we suggest you go to Grillworks Inc.). So grab those burgers, hot dogs, steak, etc. and treat your guests to a mouthwatering dinner.
Compliment the night off with this patriotic dessert that’ll have your taste buds satisfied and wanting to indulge in more creative desserts.
Patriotic Trifle Recipe
· 1 package (3 ounces) berry blue gelatin
· 1 package (3 ounces) strawberry gelatin
· 2 cups boiling water
· 1 cup cold water
· 2 cups cold milk
· 2 packages (3.4 ounces each) instant vanilla pudding mix
· 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed, divided
· 1 pint fresh blueberries
· 1 quart fresh strawberries, quartered
· 1 prepared angel food cake (8 to 10 ounces), cut into 1-inch cubes
1. In two small bowls, combine each gelatin flavor with 1 cup boiling water. Stir 1/2 cup cold water into each. Pour each into an ungreased 9-in. square pan. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until set.
2. In a large bowl, whisk milk and pudding mixes for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. Fold in 2 cups whipped topping.
3. Set aside 1/4 cup blueberries and 1/2 cup strawberries for garnish. Cut the gelatin into 1-in. cubes. In a 3-qt. trifle bowl or serving dish, layer the strawberry gelatin, half of the cake cubes, the remaining blueberries and half of the pudding mixture.
4. Top with blue gelatin and remaining cake cubes, strawberries and pudding mixture. Garnish with reserved berries and remaining whipped topping. Make sure to serve immediately! The dessert serves 16-20 guests.